Thursday, January 29, 2015

My little superstar.....kind of....after all it is just 3rd grade basketball!

This is Kate's 2nd year of basketball and she just loves it! There are 4 dads that have daughters on this team and they love sports. So at every practice there is so much help that everyone gets a lot of one on one coaching. We have moved Kate up to AAU which is a lot more competitive then the city league that she played on last year. The coaches do yell a little more and while everyone does get playing time we are out for the win. Kate has improved so much in this season already that she doesn't even seem like the same person.
 They played in their first tournament a few weeks ago and were the champions. All the girls loved that they got a plaque....what an exciting day for them!
 In the last couple of games we have been up against some really hard teams and while we haven't always won I just love watching them play. Kate has made some baskets, stolen her fare share of balls and played some really good defense. The group of moms that I sit with during the games is a great group. We all yell to cheer on the girls and yes we yell when we think the girls need to do something other then what they are doing. hahahaha we are not crazy yet but then again it is only the 3rd grade....give us time!
 She is just so stinking cute! Kate told me in the car on the way home from practice one day that she thinks she is the sporty kid.
Me: Yes you play very well and seem to have some natural talent for it.
Kate: Yeah Natalie likes books and I like sports.
Me: yes that does seem to be the case.
Kate: So I can just do sports all the time.
Me: well not really but you know books and school are really important too.
Kate: Yeah but Natalie can like those
Me: Well you know in jr high and high school if you don't get good enough grades they can kick you off the sport teams.
Kate: What? That doesn't seem fair.
Kate is loving that she is coming into her own and has found something that she feels she excels at. We had to continue the conversation about how sports is second to school and that life is about balance. I had to tell her that while Natalie does love school and books it is also good for Natalie to be on the swim team so her life has some balance. I am not sure if she understood the balance thing but she definitely heard me say they can kick you off the team for bad grades. At the end all I got was "So I have to keep doing my homework and reading books so I can play sports?" I just ended with a simple yes but I am sure we will be talking about this again.

No comments: